Monday, December 2, 2013

I have been researching for my paper and have found a few sources such as Unnatural Affections: Women and Fiction in the Later 18th Century by George E. Haggerty that have given me additional information about the 18th century. However, I am having trouble deciding on a thesis because of the numerous ways that I could approach Fantomina and gender roles in relation to the emotions curiosity and desire. I was thinking of focusing on desire alone and contrasting Fantomina's with Beauplaisir's, but I currently do not have enough critical sources in order to support my theories. I am thinking that I should set up a time to discuss this over office hours as soon as possible.

"Most of us unthinkingly regard it as a given: consciousness is what makes us what we are, what makes us human. It just happens. But cognitive scientists are aware that many organisms survive perfectly well without consciousness in the human, self-conscious sense, and so they ask, What is consciousness for? I am sure that this would strike most of us as a very odd question. However, you will be relieved to hear that the answer is a positive one. For example, the neuroscientist Antonio Damasio's answer to the question is that the 'devices of consciousness handle the problem of how an individual organism may cope with environmental challenges not predicted in its basic design such that the conditions fundamental for survival can still be met.'"
The Whole Mind page 89

No comments:

Post a Comment